18 March 2009

The Shaanxi Squat

Back in my school days I remember spending a lot of time sitting cross-legged on the floor. During school assembly, or at home in front of the TV. It seemed comfortable at the time, but my aging, unexercised lower limbs just don't have the required flexibility any more. I can bend to meet all the necessary angles required to sit on a chair, and that's about as far as I go.

Life in China makes more demands of peoples' thighs. What with all the stair climbing (buildings of eight floors or less have no lifts) and walking, and... well, I won't dwell too long on the delights of a visit to a non-Western style WC, but as you can probably work out from this picture it doesn't involve sitting down, but requires the 'user' to squat. 


Moving swiftly on, I'm focussing on the act of squatting itself. Chinese people are great at this. If it was an Olympic sport, then that would surely have been another gold medal in the bag for the PRC. It can be seen everwhere: In the street, at home, in school. Waiting, smoking, chatting with friends, eating. On the ground, on a wall, beside a chair, even on a chair...

Spotted this guy a couple of days ago in a local restaurant, thought I might sneak a quick photo using my phone, over my shoulder.

I don't know why, but although I've seen people squatting like this wherever I've been in China, it does seem more common here in Xi'an. Therefore, I propose that henceforth this manouvre be known as The Shaanxi Squat. I'm fairly good at it too, though I find it difficult to hold for long periods of time. I've yet to work up the courage to attempt an on-seat squat, but maybe one day...

Sorry, more toilet talk, but this warrants a mention too: On a couple of occasions I've seen footprints on the seat of a western-style toilet. No need, really.

3 comments:

  1. I would not say that any province has dibs on squatting. It's a pretty universal position. I am a proponent of squatting, though we don't do it here in Toronto, Canada.

    As China is very unclean (we shall remain verbose here), sitting down on anything public is risky. It is cleaner to squat than sit. Chinese public bathrooms can range from a little dirty to "should be condemned by Public Health", which you already knew. Eastern style toilets (both China and Japan use them) are more hygenic if the cleaning staff is not.

    As unclean toilets are not limited to China, I often wish Eastern toilets were also available here in Toronto.

    Regular squatting promotes increased range of motion in your hips, knees and ankles, and is available to everyone for free. You have to like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha - quite right! In comparison, western-style toilets promote laziness. (Hence the fact that such a simple task as sitting with my legs crossed causes pain after more than 10 minutes in the same position.)
    And I'm sure you're not alone in wishing that the squat option was available elsewhere in the world. If you think about it, they are considerably more hygienic than their western equivalents. This was first brought to my attention by a teacher friend of mine who had a debate about this with her students - though the students all admitted to having a western style toilet at home, which they preferred... They only like squatters in public situations, not for their own homes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An additional point to note with your 'Shaanxi Squat' is that feet remain in full contact with the ground (or chair/wall/western toilet seat...).

    We do of course have squatting of sorts in the UK but this tends to be crouched down, balanced on your toes (colloquially called "being on your 'honkers'" if you're from North East England...). I physically can't stop myself falling over if I try and squat with my feet flat.

    ReplyDelete